Media Advisory: AmeriCorps State, VISTA Members to Gather for ServeMontana Symposium
Over 250 AmeriCorps members to participate in citywide food drive and service conference
HELENA, MT- Coinciding with AmeriCorps Week, over 250 AmeriCorps State and VISTA members who are currently serving throughout Montana will convene in Helena for the ServeMontana Symposium at Carroll College from March 8 through March 10, 2017.
Hosted by the Governor’s Office of Community Service, the eighth annual ServeMontana Symposium, “Montana: A Symphony of Service,” includes a citywide food drive in partnership with Helena Food Share, welcome address from Governor Steve Bullock, breakout sessions, and a disaster simulation.
2017 ServeMontana Symposium signature events:
- Doorsteps to Backpacks community wide food drive
Wednesday, March 8, 1:30pm, Carroll College, Campus Center
- First Lady Lisa Bullock and Bruce Day, Executive Director of Helena Food Share, will launch Doorsteps to Backpacks. Symposium participants will collect kid friendly food items from the doorsteps of approximately 15,000 homes in Helena and East Helena to benefit the Helena Food Share’s Kid Packs. Participants will also be stationed at all grocery stores to collect food items.
- Symposium Welcome and National Service Award Announcement
Thursday, March 9, 9:00am, Carroll College All Saints Hall
- Governor Steve Bullock will address Symposium participants and Dan Ritter, Executive Director of Governor’s Office of Community Service will announce the national Voices of Service State Leadership Award recognizing Governor Bullock’s leadership and innovation in leveraging National Service to meet Montana’s needs.
- Symposium Keynote
Thursday, March 9, 6:30pm, Carroll College All Saints Hall
- Shannon Stober, Verve Exchange CEO and AmeriCorps alum, will present the keynote address. Lt. Governor Mike Cooney will give the introduction.
- Whole Community Disaster Simulation
Friday, March 10, 10:00am-12:30pm, Carroll College All Saints Hall
- AmeriCorps State and VISTA members will participate in the award-winning Whole Community Disaster Simulation to gain a greater understanding of personal preparedness and how community volunteers may play a role in disasters.
For more information about the annual ServeMontana Symposium, please visit serve.mt.gov.
The Governor’s Office of Community Service expands and promotes National Service and volunteerism in Montana and engages citizens in service and emergency preparedness.