Global Youth Service Day in Montana
25 Mini-Grants Awarded!
The Governor’s Office of Community Service is pleased to announce the 25 recipients of a Global Youth Service Day mini-grant. These organizations will be holding youth-driven service projects this Global Youth Service Day weekend, April 20-22, 2012.
Global Youth Service Day is an annual campaign that celebrates and mobilizes the millions of children and youth who improve their communities each day of the year through service. Established in 1988, Global Youth Service Day is the largest and longest-running service event in the world, and the only day of service dedicated to children and youth. GYSD is celebrated each year in over 100 countries.
In Montana, we estimate that more than 1,400 youth and adult volunteers will serve during Global Youth Service Day with projects across the state. These projects include Earth Day celebrations, community garden workdays, clean-up and painting endeavors, recycling events, and artistic activities.
Learn more about Global Youth Service Day and register your project at gysd.org.
GYSD Mini-Grant Recipients
Contact a group in your area and ask how you can help!
- Anaconda: Jamie Roessler and Sue Konicek with the Anaconda Family Resource Center will have a community service fair, special service projects, and GYSD Rally at the Benny Goodman Park on 4/21/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-563-7972.
- Anaconda: Terry Galle and Stephanie Galle with the Anaconda Little League are organizing a park cleanup at the Marty May Baseball Field on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-691-0861.
- Billings: Maggie Zaback and Tauzha Grantham of the Montana Conservation Corps are coordinating special work days at Lake Elmo State Park, Phipps Park, and the Audubon Center on 4/21/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-651-1311.
- Billings: Heather Ristow and the Montana Audubon Conservation Education Center are hosting an Earth Day Celebration and Clean-up at the Audubon Conservation Education Center on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-294-5099.
- Billings: Molly Peterson and Nathan Stahley of the United Way of Yellowstone County are organizing a Youth in Action-mural painting project at the Shiloh Trail Underpass on 4/22/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-252-3839 x38.
- Boulder: Kaitlyn Sonsteng and Branna Giulio of the 21st Century Community Learning Center’s Service Learning Club are organizing a local food community dinner and art projects at Boulder Elementary School on 4/20/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-202-4825.
- Bozeman: Rebekah McKeehan, Vanessa Skelton, and Girls for a Change with Thrive are hosting a water taste test at the Sustainability Show at Boget Park on 4/21/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-922-4249.
- Browning: Chyann Raining Bird and Kelly Sykora with the Browning Community Development Corporation are organizing a Family Fun Day and Gardening Event at Government Square on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-388-4015.
- Butte: Kelly Hancock is organizing a special volunteer weekend at the Science Mine on 4/21/12 and 4/22/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-221-7495.
- Fort Peck: Bethany Lacock and Roubie Younkin of the Valley County 4-H Council will be repainting the bathrooms at the Boy Scout Park on 4/21/12 and 4/22/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-228-6241.
- Gallatin Gateway: Laura Axtman, a teacher at Gallatin Gateway School, is organizing the creation of a "Sunflower Learning Center" at the Gallatin Gateway School on 4/20/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-763-4415.
- Glasgow: Tee Aune and Roubie Younkin of the Tampico Boys 4-H Club will be painting the Horse Barns at the Valley County Fairgrounds on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-228-6241.
- Glendive: Tina Carter with the Boys & Girls Club of Dawson County is organizing a garden bed construction and potluck at the Boys and Girls Club on 4/22/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-377-7999.
- Havre: Samantha Rybicki and Carrie Johnson at Opportunity Link, Inc. are hosting an UpCycle Clinic for youth at Pepin Park on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-265-3699.
- Helena: Danielle Hamm and Emily McVey with Rocky Mountain Youth Resources will be building a garden at the Jan Shaw Youth Home on 4/20, 4/21, and 4/22. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-449-3038.
- Helena: Eric Walliman and Matt Elsaesser with the SAVE Foundation will have a recycling game at the Kids Spring Fest and Earth Jam Fair in Pioneer Park on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-449-6088.
- Kalispell: Anders Olson and Shareen Springer with the Center for Restorative Youth Justice will be making “seed bombs” at the Nourish the Flathead Community Garden on 4/20/12 and 4/21/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-257-7400.
- Kalispell: Isabelle Mullen and Gretchen Boyer of Nourish the Flathead are hosting a garden workday with games and art at the Nourish Community Garden at FVCC on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-461-5569.
- Lima: Christopher Sutton and Jacqueline Sutton with the Beaverhead Stock N Stitch 4-H Club will be installing sod for the community area around the swimming pool at the Lima School on 4/20/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-276-3534.
- Missoula: Shari Strachan and Troop 3252 of the Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming will be distributing re-useable shopping bags at the Orange Street Food Farm on 4/22/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-544-2505.
- Missoula: Scarlet Kaplan and Lee Brown of the SAVE Club at Hellgate High School will be installing a water barrel and planters in the community garden at Hellgate High School on 4/21/12. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-728-2402.
- Missoula: Stacy Houge and Gypsy Ray at Mountain Home Montana are organizing a special volunteer day for young mothers at the River Road Community Garden on 4/21/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-541-4663.
- Missoula: Jenifer Kerber and Karen Carreno with the Rocky Mountain Ballet Theatre are presenting on the "Create" program Sat. April 21, an affordable dance performance at the Hellgate High School. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 406-549-5155.
- Missoula: Kalie Sauro and Julie Walsh with the Missoula Youth Philanthropy Club are hosting "The Trash Bash" at the downtown Earth Day Event in Caras Park on 4/22/12. Contact: email@example.com 406-690-4863.
- Missoula and Bozeman: Max Smith and Emerald LaFortune of 1,000 New Gardens are organizing “Dig Days” converting yards to gardens on 4/21 and 4/22. In Missoula meet at Kiwanis Park and in Bozeman meet at the City Hall Gardens. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 208-301-0535.
Global Youth Service Day is organized by YSA (Youth Service America) and sponsored by partners such as State Farm and Sodexo. The Governor’s Office of Community Service is a 2012 Lead Agency for Global Youth Service Day.