AmeriCorps State, VISTA Members to Gather for ServeMontana Symposium
Over 250 AmeriCorps members to participate in city-wide food drive and service conference
HELENA, MT- Coinciding with AmeriCorps Week, over 250 AmeriCorps State and VISTA members who are currently serving throughout Montana will convene in Helena for the ServeMontana Symposium at Carroll College from March 9 through March 11, 2016.
Hosted by the Governor’s Office of Community Service, the seventh annual ServeMontana Symposium, “Service Frontier: Exploring National Service in Montana,” includes a city-wide food drive in partnership with Helena Food Share, welcome address from Governor Steve Bullock, breakout sessions, and a disaster simulation.
2016 ServeMontana Symposium signature events:
- Doorsteps to Backpacks community-wide food drive: Wednesday, March 9, 1:30pm, Montana State Capitol Rotunda
- First Lady Lisa Bullock and Bruce Day, Executive Director of Helena Food Share, will launch Doorsteps to Backpacks. Symposium participants will collect kid-friendly food items from the doorsteps of approximately 15,000 homes in Helena and East Helena to benefit the Helena Food Share’s Kid Packs. Participants will also be stationed at all grocery stores to collect items.
- Symposium Welcome: Thursday, March 10, 9:00am, Carroll College All Saints Hall
- Governor Steve Bullock and Dr. Tom Evans, President of Carroll College, will address Symposium participants.
- Symposium Keynote: Thursday, March 10, 6:30pm, Carroll College All Saints Hall
- Shannon Stober, Verve Exchange CEO and AmeriCorps alum, will present the keynote address. Lt. Governor Mike Cooney will give the introduction.
- Whole Community Disaster Simulation: Friday, March 11, 10:00am-12:30pm, Carroll College All Saints Hall
- AmeriCorps State and VISTA members will participate in the award-winning Whole Community Disaster Simulation to gain a greater understanding of personal preparedness and how community volunteers may play a role in disasters.
For more information about the annual ServeMontana Symposium, please visit serve.mt.gov.
The Governor’s Office of Community Service expands and promotes National Service and volunteerism in Montana and engages citizens in service and emergency preparedness.