Fight Childhood Hunger Week is an event put on by the Youth Leadership Council. They dedicate the week to fighting childhood hunger in their respective schools and communities.
Projects and events will take place throughout the week led by the 20 middle and high school students who serve on the Youth Leadership Council and represent their different communities across Montana. Projects are designed to raise awareness of the issue of childhood hunger and help schools and communities to implement food service programs that provide students with the meals they need to succeed.
Past Fight Childhood Hunger Week events include:
- Billings: Week long food drive at West High, Presentation at Ben Steele Middle school with food drive
- Red Lodge: Week long food drive at Red Lodge High School
- Malta: Fill the freezer event, healthy cooking class with the Boys and Girls Club 5K fun run on Saturday
- Bozeman: Fun Run 1k and 5K; food drive competition
- Butte: Food drive competition; launch Butte High Bag Program
- Polson: Wear Orange Wednesday, school dance with food donation entry
- Plentywood: Week long food drive, Saturday carnival benefitting Plentywood Food Bank
- Choteau: Basketball shootout and fundraiser for food pantry
- Joliet: Dodge ball tournament and week-long food drive competition
- Thompson Falls: Dog agility contest food donation entry fee, raffle to support local food bank
- Frenchtown: Coins for a Cause and Cupcakes for a Cause fundraisers to support school backpack program
- Seeley Lake: School wide food drive all week; 3 on 3 basketball tournament to support food pantry
- Shelby: Weekly food drive, Soup Feed at high school, Dodge Ball Tournament to support food drive
Governor and First Lady Bullock also encourage Montanans to participate in Wear Orange Wednesday to stand united in the cause of reducing childhood hunger in Montana. The color orange represents child hunger awareness. Share photos of yourself wearing orange on social media with #WearOrangeWednesday #WOW #serveMT
The dates of Fight Childhood Hunger Week and Wear Orange Wednesday are TBD.